Meet the Customers
Having spent quiet time in the relative tranquility of the quarantine facility, the fish are used to local water conditions and ready to meet their new owners.
Our regular customers will probably be tired of hearing about the correct way to introduce fish into a new tank:
- Float the fish bag for 30 minutes to equalise temperature
- Add water from the tank (every 10 minutes for 1 hour) to equalise pH
"I know, boring stuff", but anyone who has been in the shop early in the morning will see that WE practice what we preach:
- From 08.00 staff in Quarantine collect selected fish into 10ltr tubs with sealable lids.
- By 09.00 the fish are leaving Quarantine en route to the shop.
- At the shop the fish are unloaded and assigned to their display tanks
- Two cups of water from the display tank are added to the 10ltr tub
- Process is repeated every 10 minutes for 1 hour before the fish are released
The second sermon which we often give is "frequent water changes", at least every week, and clean the tank while your at it!
Again, something which we do ourselves, and which does pay dividends. Any customer who has visited other stores, and this must surely be 100%, cannot help but notice the cleanliness of our display tanks, indeed many enquire how we achieve this.
The answer is simple! In addition to any top-ups needed when fish are sold, every tank gets a water change at least once per week, even the 500 gallon tank under the counter. In fact most get more. Sensitive species, or heavily stocked tanks, get a minimum of 2 water changes per week, and Discus get 5 - 6. As well as water changes the gravel and glass are also cleaned at the same time, quite a task considering there are almost 200 tanks in the shop.
True, none are quite as big as the one in the photo, but give us some time and who know's what will happen..!